Immediate Steps You Must Take If You Have Flood Or Water Damage To Your Rugs
We wanted to post this excellent article written by Lisa Wagner!
Rugs and Floods – By Lisa Wagner (The Rug Chick)
With the number of home floods escalating due to the severe weather, a number of rugs will be exposed to flood water.
The longer a rug remains wet the more likely it is to have dye migration that is not correctible. Rugs that are not washed properly and dried thoroughly can end up with mildew and dry rot problems.
Here are tips to minimize the damage of rugs involved in floods:
- Extract the water as soon as possible using a wet vacuum or having your restoration company extract with their professional water removal equipment.
- Make sure you extract WITH the direction of the rug’s fiber nap, instead of against it (this minimizes fiber damage).
- If you are unable to have the rugs thoroughly washed right away, then it’s important to get the rugs as dry as possible to stop the damage risks. Dry them and wash them later.
- When transporting to a facility to be cleaned, wrap in towels or sheets to prevent dye from bleeding from one rug on to another.
- Do NOT hang up wet rugs. Extract and dry out flat.
- Do NOT dry in direct sunlight. Most contemporary rugs are sensitive to sunlight fading. If you must dry in sunlight, lay the rugs face down so fading occurs on the backside only until the rugs are taken to a cleaning facility.
Wool and silk oriental rugs can take months, sometimes years, to weave by hand. If you have investment textiles you want to protect from a flood that has affected your home, simply follow those guidelines and you can lessen the risk of permanent damage to your rugs due to extended exposure to water.
Our Victoria Carpet Care Cleaning Specialists are more than happy to answer any of your rug and carpet care questions! Call Victoria Carpet Care at 250-474-7777 for a FREE evaluation on your cleaning needs or call our FREE 24 hour Consumer Awareness Message at 1-877-474-7577
How to Care for your Oriental Rug
1. Rotation – To ensure even wear, your rug should be rotated once a year. Depending on the traffic, the rotation may vary from six months to two years.
2. Vacuuming – Oriental rugs, like most carpeting, should be vacuumed on a regular basis to remove dirt and restore life to the fibers. Be sure not to vacuum the fringe with your beater bar! Use the end of a vacuum hose from a canister vacuum.
3. Padding – A quality pad used under your rug helps protect it from dirt
Victoria Carpet Care offers all of these great services: Carpet Repairs, High Heat Extraction, Carpet Cleaning, Upholstery Cleaning, Mattress Cleaning, Area Rug Cleaning, Tile and Grout Cleaning, Pet Stains and Odors, Odor Control, Leather Cleaning, Disinfectants, Carpet and Upholstery Protectors, Floor Waxing, Polishing and Cleaning, Environmentally Friendly Green Cleaning Options and Furniture Cleaning.
Victoria Carpet Care is happy to provide our Carpet, Upholstery and Area Rug Cleaning Services to all of Greater Victoria, Sooke, Metchosin, Langford, Colwood, Saanich, View Royal, Esquimalt, Cordova Bay, Fairfield and Oak Bay.